Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Novel Writing Tips #1 Stick With A Genre You Love

Stick With a Genre You Love.
Welcome to my first tip in a series on getting your novel written.  Nearly every reader has at some point wished that they could write a book of their own.  You may find these tips useful, and I'm sharing them because I've found them helpful myself.
First let's talk about genre.  I definitely think that any writer should stick with a genre they love.  I once heard or read someone say, "Write what you know," and I think this is excellent advice.  If you love to read about history, then write about it.  If you love to read crime or mystery novels, then that's a great place to start.
Now I believe that most people already do this intuitively, but there can be things that prevent potential writers from working on a subject they really enjoy.  Perhaps you feel you don't know enough about your subject matter, or may not think there would be a potential audience for what you have to write.  There could be dozens of reasons that prevent you from writing what you want to write about, but my advice is to follow your own heart and write about what matters to you, or what you are most interested in.
The reason I wanted to write a fantasy novel is because this was the genre that's had the most impact on me throughout my life.  The Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia were there for me as a child, and now I enjoy sharing them with my own kids.  As a family, we've read the Percy Jackson and Harry Potter books together, creating valuable family time and nurturing the imaginations of our own children.
The Adventures of Michael Belmont series is my first contribution into the fantasy genre, which I have enjoyed so much.  I hope others will enjoy reading it as much as I've enjoyed the fantasy works of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment